My wife is using an Iphone 4s in Romania, where Apple doesn`t have an official store. The phones are sold through mobile operators. So, each operator can manage easly the cellular data setings by blocking this tab.
Cellular Data Network option in iOS allows us to edit internet settings for each mobile operator separately. This option appears only if you use an iPhone with an informal network, means a network that does not sell iPhones and has no special mobileconfig made by Apple. For other network option is not available in iOS Networking menu and settings are automatically included in the phone so do not worry. But for some people, like in Romania with Cosmote, these settings do not work properly and the lack of options (different APN used for different services) and they can`t connect to the internet, can`t making tethering, etc.
But hopefully, there are few ways to edit your APN even you don`t have this tab in Configuration / General / Cellular
1. This is a useful tip for iPhone 4S and 5(!) who needs to modify their APN settings especially when using Gevey Ultra S. An alternate method is to install jailbreak tweak such TetherMe. If your device is not jailbroken you can try the following.
- On your iPhone 4S or 5 (tested by myself), connect to a WiFi network.
- Launch the following website using Safari web browser. http://www.unlockit.co.nz
- Tap on Continue > Custom APN.
- Choose Country and Carrier and then tap Create Profile. For this example I chose country as Romania and carrier as Cosmote. Then you can choose one of the listed APN (broadband or web`n`walk)
- Tap Install and confirm installation.
- Reboot your iPhone and you’re done!
If you ever need to remove this profile, go to Settings > General > scroll down and you will see Profile: APN Carrier Settings. Tap on Remove. That’s it.
Important : here, you`ll find more details about SIM Swap Method that it`s not working for the moment also for MMS profiles .
credits to beijingiphonerepair.com
2. iPhone Configuration Utility
Download and install
- Connect your iPhone to computer
- Click in left menu where should be Configuration Profiles
- Complete the following fields : General: Name, Identifier, Description (nu conteaza cu ce sunt completate)
- Click on the Advanced and the first three fields are about Mobile Operator internet settings
- Click on iPhone in the left menu
- Click on Configuration Profiles, select created profile and then click install
- You`ll get immediately on iPhone this profile that has to be installed
credits to gadget.ro
3. For an iPhone with jailbreak, you can install a tweak, called TetherMe APN Editing. This tweak will ctivate the menu Cellular Data Network.
4. The last option is to call to your mobile operator and the customer care service will be able to send you an email with the appropriate Profile. The email contains a mobileconfig that has to be open with your phone and installed.